Protecting your privacy is important to us.
How we collect your personal information
We will collect and hold your personal information in a fair and lawful manner, and not in an intrusive way. Where it is reasonably practical to do so, we will collect your personal information directly from you. We may collect the personal information you directly give us through some of the following means:
- when you fill in our contact form, sign up to our newsletter or use our shopping cart;
- when you make an inquiry or order in relation to goods or services through our website;
- when you use any software applications or services provided by our organisation;
- in administering and performing any contracts with service providers;
- when you contact us via telephone;
- when you interact with us via social media;
- from correspondence (whether in writing or electronically);
- while conducting customer satisfaction and market research surveys;
- when administering any of our services; and
- as we otherwise deal with you in the course of our business.
However, in certain cases we may collect personal information from publicly available sources and third parties, such as suppliers, recruitment agencies, contractors, our clients and business partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
Types of personal information we collect
The type of personal information we may collect depends on the nature of what you are doing with our websites or services. This can include (but is not limited to), your name, age, postal address, email address, phone numbers, billing information and details about your education.
We do not typically collect sensitive information, such as information about health, race or religion. Where we do propose to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so with your consent, or otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act (Australia).
Personal information we collect for app registration
Our programming app, does not require a user to register with the app in order to access and use the app.
Our purposes for handling your personal information
As a general rule, we only process personal information for purposes that would be considered relevant and reasonable in the circumstances.
We will not sell, trade, or rent your personal identification information to third parties.
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to:
- offer and provide you with our goods and services;
- manage and administer those goods and services, including account keeping procedures;
- communicate with you, including (but not limited to) emailing you in relation to any orders;
- comply with our legal and regulatory obligations; and
- otherwise manage our business.
Where you are a minor, we may also:
- collect, hold and use your personal information to communicate with your parent or guardian; and
- disclose any personal information we hold about you to your parent or guardian.
We will not use or disclose your personal information for any other purpose unless you have consented to that use or disclosure, or as otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.
We may disclose personal information between our organisations or to third parties such as our suppliers, organisations that provide us with technical and support services, or our professional advisors, where permitted by the Privacy Act. If we disclose information to a third party, we generally require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
When you make an order in our online store, we’ll ask you to enter your:
- phone number,
- shipping address,
- billing address,
- payment information.
This information is used to process your order and deliver the goods. It is also stored for bookkeeping reasons. We use this information with the following services:
Protection of personal information
We will hold personal information as either secure physical records, electronically on our intranet system, in cloud storage, and in some cases, records on third party servers, which may be located outside of Australia.
We maintain appropriate physical, procedural and technical security for our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, or modification of personal information. This also applies to the disposal of personal information.
We further protect personal information by restricting access to personal information to only those who need access to the personal information to do their job. Physical, electronic and managerial procedures have been employed to safeguard the security and integrity of your personal information.
We will destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
As a provider of an educational service, we understand that minors may use our services, specifically our programming applications, and as a result, we may knowingly or unknowingly collect personal details about a minor.
To protect the privacy and personal data of minors:
- we have identified that the regular use case for minors interacting with our services is through our programming apps,
- we have made it so that the use of our programming apps does not require any user, including minors, to enter their personal information,
- no third parties are involved in the collection of personal information from minors via our programming apps registration services,
- we will not sell, trade, or rent the personal identification information obtained via our programming apps registration process to third parties, and
- we have split all other services which involve personal information collection so that minors using our programming applications only need to interact with the programming applications (and no additional services, such as those provided on the www.inventionengine.net website including newsletter registration and online purchasing).
We will only knowingly collect personal information from or about a minor:
- as strictly necessary to seek the abovementioned consent.
No third parties are involved in the collection of personal information from minors via our services.
We will not require a minor to disclose more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in an activity.
The types of personal information we collect from minors include:
- full name;
- email address;
- contact details of their parents or guardian;
- information about any of our products they may have, or have access to;
- information about their educational institution and progress; and
- information generated in the course of their use of our services, such as their interactions with other users, or their scripts developed using our services.
We may collect personal information about a minor:
- directly from the minor, as they use our services and otherwise interact with us;
- from the minor’s parent or guardian;
- from the minor’s educational institution; and
- from other users of our services, if and when they use the services to interact with the minor.
We may also collect some information of a technical nature automatically. This will typically be non-identifiable information about the products and technology used by a minor, such as IP address, operating system and technical specifications.
We will only use personal information about a minor to facilitate their use of our services. This may include for the purpose of the minor’s use or participation in any educational programmes that we run.
We may disclose personal information about minors to third parties in very limited circumstances:
- Where a minor uses our services collaboratively, or opts to use our services to share materials with other users or the public, then we will disclose only such information as necessary to such other users or persons as necessary to facilitate this.
- We may disclose personal information about a minor to that minor’s educational institution, which may use this information to assist in the delivery of educational services to the minor.
- Information collected about a minor may be disclosed to that minor’s parent or guardian on request.
- Minors give us their email addresses and name if and when they sign up for one of our newsletters. Please see our Direct Marketing section for how we manage this data.
Minors give us their personal information as part of an online transaction when making a purchase on our site.
Subject to the above, we do not disclose personal information collected from minors to third parties.
A parent, guardian or educational institution may contact us using the details set out at the end of this policy to:
- review any personal information we hold about a minor in their care or charge;
- request that we update or delete any such personal information;
- request that we refrain from disclosing their minor’s personal information to particular third parties; and/or
- request that we refrain from any further collection or use of their minor’s personal information.
Please note, we will require that the parent, guardian or educational institution making the request on behalf of the minor will need to verify their connection to minor and have access to the email address supplied by the minor to enable us to proceed with this request.
Please note that we are SOPIPA compliant (California) and compliant with the “Student user privacy in education rights (SUPER) Act” (Senate Bill 5419 – Washington State).
We use names and email addresses to undertake direct marketing activities where you have signed up to receive our newsletter or otherwise opted to received direct marketing materials from us.
- We do not sell email addresses nor disclose your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
- You can unsubscribe at any time using this link.
- You can unsubscribe by clicking on the link in the footer of any email newsletter we send you.
- If you have any trouble opting out of the email communications, please contact us and we will manually remove you from our e-mail list.
We like to keep our email addresses up-to-date. Please contact us if your details have changed.
If you have concerns or questions about our direct marketing, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Web browser cookies
The law states that we can store cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies, we need your permission.
Where our websites, software or other services contain functionality that allows you to log in as a registered user, then cookies will be used to identify you as that user.
Our website uses Google Analytics to collect non-identifiable visitor data and analyse traffic. This information helps us understand customer interests and helps us improve our websites and marketing. The cookie does not contain personal details.
You can at any time change or withdraw your consent from the Cookie Declaration on our website.
Your consent applies to the following domains: inventionengine.net
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may contact our Privacy Officer to request an export of the personal information that we hold about you, to request removal of this data, and/or to make corrections to that information, at any time. We will respond to all requests for access to, or correction of personal information within a reasonable time. We may be required to go through a verification process to confirm your identity to share the information we have on record.
- To verify that you are the person affiliated with the email you are making the request about, we must receive an email from that email address as part of the verification process. You will be informed where to send this email once your request via the contact form has been received.
On the rare occasions when we refuse access, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons for refusing access. We may seek to recover from you reasonable costs incurred for providing you with access to any of the personal information about you held by us.
We are not obliged to correct any of your personal information if we do not agree that it requires correction and may refuse to do so. If we refuse a correction request, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons for so refusing.
International transfers of personal information
From time to time we may engage a recipient located outside of Australia to provide services to us, such as cloud-based storage solutions. Please note that the use of international service providers to store personal information will not always involve a disclosure of personal information to that overseas provider.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to any such international recipients for purposes necessary or useful in the course of operating our business, and agree that APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosures. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that an overseas recipient breaches the Australian Privacy Principles, that entity may not be bound by, and you may not be able seek redress under, the Privacy Act.
Each country has different privacy legislation. We have sought to comply with:
- Australian Privacy Principles
- European Union GDPR
- Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
We are committed to ensuring our data collection and use is best practice. Please contact us if you have questions about our data collection and use.
Your acceptance of these terms
Phone: +61 8 8166 7193
PO Box 8052
Grange SA 5022, Australia
If you wish to contact our Privacy Officer, please do so by writing to us via our contact form.
We take all complaints seriously and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period. Our time zone is Adelaide, Australia. Our business hours Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm, GMT + 9.30 (winter) and GMT + 10.30 (summer – daylight savings time).
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: +61 1300 363 992
This document was last updated on 21 December 2020.
Disclaimer: use of trademarks on this website
- Invention Engine blocks is developed by Microbric Pty Ltd using open source software created and maintained by the Scratch Foundation. The Scratch Foundation does not sponsor, endorse, or authorize this content. See scratch.mit.edu for more information.